An article from ten years ago is even more relevant than when it was written. It deals with the dangers of mistaking conservativism for a genuine Lutheran confessional stance. It raises questions we need to face:
- Have we become a mere sect which needs to die?
- Are questions of theology more important than institutional survival?
- Are we captives of the Word or just people with opinions about it?
- Are we willing to stand against forces from many sides which would snatch the Truth from us by stealth or force?
- Is there enough confessional understanding left for the Church to remain a creature of the Word and resist the slide into becoming a human institution which promotes convenience?
These are times which call for introspection, courage, and trust in the power of the Word.
Posted by pomeranus.